In an alarming report, doctors in the nation's Emergency Rooms report that "The number of kids treated in emergency rooms after swallowing batteries -- or lodging them in their noses and ears -- has almost doubled over the past 20 years".
In the article 'More batteries to blame for kids' ER visits doctors report that the tiny watch-sized batteries seem to be more attractive to toddlers and end up making their way into the child's nose or throats.
Come to find out these little 'button' batteries can also cause tissue damage and/or burns if ingested - even if the battery no longer has enough power for an electronics device.
One surprising source of these small circular batteries is in some of the greetings cards that sing or play music...best not to leave those with your youngester.
If you don't have a young one around full-time, or if you're about to be a new, first-time parent one of the things to secure are the remotes for your electronics. Remotes for TVs, DVD players, etc. are often at toddler level and the battery compartment is usually unsecured...meaning they are not secured with a screw or lock. So - it is possible children can pop open the remote (or it may open on falling to the floor) giving the child access to the batteries and the sharp small plastic battery door.